Some close Aussie friends of mine had recently told me about a foodie trend that was everywhere in Sydney – the avocado and pea smash. I was already a big fan of avocado on gluten free toast, but this particular combo sounded incredible to me! So I’ve done a little research and decided to come up with my own green combo to bring to you guys!
And trust me, not only is it healthy, easy and quick to make, but it is absolutely delicious…
Avocado & Pea Smash with Poached Eggs
You’ll Need (makes enough for 2 people):
- 2 ripe avocados
- 50g frozen peas
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- A little salt
- 2-4 eggs (depending on how many you fancy!)
- Gluten free bread
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Defrost the peas by boiling them in hot water for approximately 5 minutes.
- Whilst the peas are defrosting, cut open the avocados and cube them into sections before adding them into a mixing bowl.
- Drain off the excess water from the peas and add the peas to the bowl with the avocado.
- Add in the olive oil and squeeze half a lemon into the green mixture. Crush in the garlic clove and add a little salt.
- Mix the combo together well, smashing some of the avocado and peas as you go.
- Begin to poach some eggs in a pan of boiling water.
- Toast some gluten free bread ready for assembling everything together.
- Once your toast has popped, spread the Avocado & Pea smash onto the bread, and once your eggs have cooked, gently lay on top.
- Sprinkle with optional chill flakes to garnish and for an added kick.
There you have it – a healthy and scrumptious Avocado & Pea Smash with Poached Eggs. Give it a try and be sure to let me know what you think! I absolutely love it and I’m sure this will quickly become a weekend brunch favourite!
Love and no-gluten, Alex x